Saturday, June 27, 2009

Samurai Miniture Games

Along with a lot of hard core studying of Kanji in preparation for my up coming Japanese proficiency test, I decided that it would be fun to create my own Japanese army - something I've been wanting to do for quite some time - form the 15th -16th century. That means samurai (or bushi)! All my friends play model with 25-30mm models for their games so I looked into getting some figs and the cheapest ones I could find were going to cost me a pretty penny just to get 3-4 units... Needless to say I found that I could buy enough models for 2 armies by using the 15mm scale. Hence, 15mm it is! But this site is what really tied me in to doing a smaller scale.
Samurai in 10mm
Pretty huh!

So here I am, trying to find a rules set that my friends and I can try. I really like the free Bushi rules that are available online, but they seem to lack depth... or... I just can't figure out the deployment system and I'm not a fan of the giving orders. But I love the "oneness" even if it is way too multiplier heavy. That's the good and the bad of it.

Battles in the Age of War (BAW) by Peter Pig, available at my local hobby shop for about $39. This rules set looks promising. Found some semi reviews here. But have yet to talk to anyone who owns it and plays it. Guess I need to do some more web browsing. Don't want to shovel out $40 for a game that is too complex for my friends to ever want to jump into. Then again, I could always mix and match. (^@^)

Tiko! rule set runs about $25. Seems that a few people like it but I have yet to see it in action.

Looks like I'm just going to have to go out and splurge. I know there are some people who play the BAW rules set at my local hobby shop, so perhaps I'll start their. Until then, I need to figure out how to paint my army.

2 comments:

David Larkins said...

Brookhurst Hobbies has BAW for $10 off the cover price:

http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/Product-Detail.cfm?P=PPIGR002&N=10

I just ordered a copy for myself; I like the pre-battle bits and might look into grafting that onto Taiko. Or maybe going with BAW altogether if its a superior system. We'll see.

Starbreaker said...

Brookhurst hobbies for the win! I'll be heading over to their store later today to pick up my coppy! Thanks for the tid bit. The rule book looks pretty advanced, but I only fliped through it a few days ago. Look forward to looking through it.